Did you know that June is National Dairy Month!? You may understand why this is our favorite time of the year and we hope to make it yours too!
From a thick slice of Cheddar on a burger to an ice cold glass of milk with warm cookies, there is no denying the enjoyment that dairy can bring to special moments and to our favorite foods.
Dairy tastes great and while there are moments to indulge, milk is also full of nutrients and is good for our health. Not to mention, milk is local and in season all year long!
So pour yourself a glass of ice cold milk or add an extra dollop of whipped cream to your sundae, whatever fits your lifestyle, join in on the celebration!
Here are 5 easy ways to celebrate:
1. Learn more about dairy’s undeniable goodness. Dairy is local, sustainable, nutritious and delicious!
2. Visit a dairy farm or go to a dairy related event! Several farms and organizations are hosting events in June. See events by state below.
- June 3rd: Dairy Day at the Ballpark. Kick off #JuneDairyMonth with chocolate milk samples, dairy trivia, giveaways and the opportunity to meet Connecticut dairy farm families at The Hartford Yard Goats baseball stadium.
- June 2nd, 6th, 9th & 13th: Oakridge Dairy in Ellington has set aside several days for dairy farm tours in June! Click here to sign up for a day/time. If demand is there, they will add additional time slots and days. They will also continue to plan tours beyond June.
- June 30th: Hytone Farm is hosting a summer farm tour. Meet the farmers, visit the cows and calves, learn about dairy farming, and of course, taste delicious dairy!
- June 2nd: Family Farm Festival at Davidian Farm in Northboro. Have fun with the family and help raise money for the Pan-Mass Challenge & Jimmy Fund. Some activities include: petting zoo, Hot Air Balloon rides, wagon rides and more!
- June 5th – 7th: The 36th Annual Scooper Bowl is the nation’s largest all-you-can-eat ice cream festival! Grab your spoons and join us at Boston’s City Hall Plaza to support Dana-Farber’s mission to conquer cancer. We’ll be on site with our Must Be The Milk booth from Noon until 3:30pm. Stop by to meet local dairy farmers, play trivia, win prizes and more! Get tickets!
- June 10th: Dairy Day at Boston Public Market. Celebrate Massachusetts dairy farmers and dairy producers at Dairy Day on June 10! There will be activities in The KITCHEN and throughout the Boston Public Market. Taste locally made cheeses, milk, ice cream and classic dairy-focused recipes and learn all about how cheese is made. This event is FREE and open to everyone but please RSVP so they can make sure to have enough samples.
- All Month Long: Barstow’s Longview Farm in Hadley is hosting a Dairy Month Lecture Series throughout June to educate the public about the different facets of the dairy industry from experts and professionals. All of the lectures are FREE and each Saturday involves a FREE farm tour.
- All Month Long: Great Brook Farm in Carlisle is the only working dairy farm located in a state park and only 22 miles outside of Boston! Tours for the public are held on weekends and holidays. Groups that want to book tours during the week can call or email in advance.
- June 23rd: The Fairchild Dairy and Research Center will have an Open Barn Day and invites the public to come “meet your milk”. The annual statewide event, which is FREE and open to the public, takes place at the UNH Fairchild Dairy Teaching and Research Center from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Visit with the cows and calves. Tour the dairy barns, FREE wagon rides, and FREE milk and Hoodsie Cups.
- May 30th: RI Ag Day Celebration with Rhody Fresh. On RI Ag Day, local farmers, food businesses, and community groups provide FREE food samples and information about their work to the public. Meet your local farmer while experiencing the delicious foods and flavors Rhode Island has to offer!
- Starting in June: Pop-Up Scoop Shop at Wrights Dairy Farm & Bakery in North Smithfield. Cone or Cup? Whipped Cream or Hot fudge? Join Wright’s Dairy Farm for 14 weeks of delicious (from scratch), farmstead ice cream! Each week they’ll have chocolate and vanilla, 2 rotating flavors, a featured sundae, and a whole lot of toppings!
- May 31st – June 3rd: Vermont Dairy Festival in Enosburg Falls.
- June 2nd: Newmont Farm Open Farm Day in Bradford. Tour the farm and milking parlor! Ride a horse drawn scenic wagon around some of the beautiful fields along the Connecticut River. A dairy nutritionist will be at the farm to let you look into what farmers do to ensure their cows have a properly balanced diet. Under the tent you can grab a hot dog, a milk, and an ice cream! Cow train rides and face painting for the kids.
- June 1st – 3rd: Strolling of the Heifers Parade and Festival in Brattleboro.
- June 23rd: Vermont Breakfast on the Farm at Gervais Family Farm in Enosburg Falls. This is a FREE event where you can enjoy breakfast and get a first-hand look at a modern dairy farm but you need to RESERVE your FREE tickets!
3. Make amazing recipes with dairy! Check out our recipes page for some ideas, or watch some of our recipe videos!