½ lb. baby arugula, cleaned
1 small head fennel, trimmed and cleaned
4 pints heirloom cherry tomatoes (toy box of fresh cherry tomatoes varying in size)
1 T. extra virgin Spanish olive oil
1 ½ T. champagne vinegar
1 T. aged balsamic vinegar
1 large shallot, peeled and finely minced
1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
6 sprigs of chive, finely minced
6 oz. of Jasper Hill Farm Blue Cheese, crumbled
¼ c. micro herbs
- Set a mandolin to a 1/8-inch julienne cut and shave fennel bulb into a bowl of ice water, this will cause it to curl and remain crisp and fresh.
- Combine all wet ingredients, plus shallot, chives and garlic and give it a quick whisk.
- Cut tomatoes in half, quarters or whatever makes sense to pile together nicely and absorb marinade. Place in a bowl add vinaigrette and toss, cover and refrigerate, toss occasionally.
- On a chilled diner plate, place a small handful of baby arugula in the center of the plate and press down slightly to create a center stage. In the bowl of marinated tomatoes add the minced chives and give them a quick toss. Pile some of the tomatoes in the center of each plate. Drain the fennel and quickly toss with the micro herbs and top the salad.
- Garnish with crumbles Jasper Hill Farm Blue Cheese and any remaining vinaigrette.