2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup dried whole-wheat bread crumbs
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and granulated sugar until combined.
- Place the milk in a medium saucepan and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Gradually whisk 1 cup of the hot milk into the egg mixture. Whisking constantly, add the egg mixture back into the hot milk in the saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a large bowl and stir in the cream, almond extract, and salt. Refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350° F. In a food processor, grind the almonds. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the ground almonds with the bread crumbs, brown sugar, and butter. Bake, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes; let cool.
- Freeze the cream mixture in a 1½- to 2-quart ice cream maker, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Mix in the toasted-almond mixture during the last 5 minutes.
Adapted from Real Simple